Friday, December 30, 2005

Google Desktop Vs. Copernic Desktop Search: The Face Off

In this post I will be comparing Copernic Desktop Search (CDS) and Google Desktop (GD). (Please note: Most comparisons are totally my opinion. But some of the comparisons are based on actual information that I got from other sources.)

So it begins...

VS.

The pros and cons of GD:

Pros:
  • Fast, quick, finds what you want (most of the time)
  • The sidebar looks cool
  • It's Google
Cons:
  • Uses a browser window to display your search results
  • It's a security nightmare! (For more information look here and here)
  • The browser window that display search results looks ugly! (in my opinion)
The pro and cons of CDS:

Pros:
  • Searches wherever you want on your desktop without accessing the web (Unless you want it to)
  • You can refine your search to file sizes, types, date made, folder that it's in and a bunch of other stuff.
  • You can schedule updates to your index for whenever you want them.
  • It looks cool
Cons:
  • No big added features (such as GD's sidebar)
The Verdict:

Both programs are totally free so you can't go wrong with either of them (You're not going to lose anything if you just try them).

I know that I'm not the supreem power of deciding but I have decided that I like Copernic Desktop Search better. Why? I just do.

No comments: